Wednesday, March 4, 2015

#WODW: Adventure



Life is full of so many wonderful adventures. You just have to be brave enough to take the plunge. It can be scary, but some of life's best moments come from taking risks and having faith that everything will work out in the end.

I recently moved to New York City. I've always wanted to experience living here but was always too scared to try and make it happen. But I'm not getting any younger and I realized that either I make this move now or I may never do it.

So here I am.

Ideally, I would've moved after finding a job and having everything perfectly settled. But life's not perfect. I worried that if I kept delaying (if even for good reason), I would continue to find excuses not to move and my dream of living in NYC would never happen.

Moving here was absolutely the right thing for me. I'm in love with this city and everything it has to offer. The food, people, culture. All of it. But that doesn't mean there still isn't a little part of me that's slightly terrified that I made a mistake. I'm still currently unemployed and we all know that finding a job is a job in itself.

So it's been tough. But while I continue my job search, I started volunteering with New York Cares. Part of my time is now filled working with some of the sweetest 3rd grade students to enhance their reading comprehension and creative writing skills. Sometimes they struggle, but their desire to learn and read is so inspiring.

My NYC adventure hasn't gone exactly according to plan, but that's okay. Happiness is a choice and I choose to find joy in the little things. A smile on a kid's face. Coffee and a good book. Finding a seat on a busy and crowded subway. Not falling in the middle of the street because the weather still isn't warm enough to melt all the ice/snow (Seriously. Big win in my book! HA!).

I'm still trying to figure things out but that's the great thing about life: it's a continuous adventure of self-discovery. Enjoy the journey.

xx Vanessa





P.S.
I got the newsletter for #WODW, which apparently means I've participated in #WODW previously. But this is my first time. I hadn't even heard of #WODW until I read the newsletter. So I don't know how that happened but I'm grateful for it. I've contemplated starting a blog for years, but was too scared of having my words judged. It's one to write a school paper, or write strictly for myself.. but to willingly put words out there for anyone to see and criticize is intimidating.

But it was Aristotle who said: "There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing."

Can you imagine living life being nothing? I know. It's not a life at all. Therefore, I've decided to throw caution to the wind. Thank you Vashelle, Mia and #WODW for being the inspiration I needed to take on another life adventure. I don't know how it happened but maybe it was meant to be :)



Write or Die Wednesdays


6 comments:

  1. Whoa, that's weird. :) We used the email addresses that have been entered in previous posts from the link up. But no matter, I'm so glad that you shared your story with us. Like you said, it must be meant to be! :)

    I love what you said about sometimes adventures don't go according to plan and that's OK. That's so true. I think that's the whole spirit of adventures - that they throw you curve balls all the time. :) I'm glad you decided to join us! And I hope to see you again next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the weirdest thing. I even asked friends if maybe they were the ones to sign me up. Guess this will remain a mystery, haha! But thank you for having me! :)

      Delete
  2. The universe has spoken! :)

    Not sure how that happened (and, sorry?), but it was meant to be! Yay!

    Moving to NYC is absolutely an adventure. I've never been, but when I see it on TV it just seems so big and busy and endless and alive. I think anytime someone goes to a completely new place (esp. NYC!) there will be some curve balls and not everything will go as envisioned, but good for you for taking the leap!

    So glad you joined us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No apologies needed! :)

      You should come to NYC one day. It's one of my most favorite cities. There's something new to discover at every corner.

      & thank you! I'm glad I joined :)

      Delete
  3. I did the same thing in terms of just up and moving to NYC without a job about 8 years ago. It took me some time to find something. Definitely not easy, but keep on keeping on! Things will fall into place! Best of luck to you on the job search! And holy cow...what a winter it has been!!! Spring can't get here soon enough!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That means a lot, coming from someone who has been there and understands what it's like. :) & yessss.. it's been crazy. I'm looking forward to these mid to high-40s we're supposed to be getting soon. Helloooo warm front! Haha!

      Delete